ABOUT THE USE AND EFFECT OF VIBROTHERAPY MACHINES IN REHABILITATION OF JOINTS DURING AFTER SURGERY PERIOD
This document presents an analysis of the results of a conducted study among patients after arthroscopic meniscectomy in the Department of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine of SBALTOSM-PROF. DR DIMITAR SHOYLEV EAD, held between 01.03.2017 and 30.09.2017. The aim of the study was to prove whether there is a statistically reliable difference in the quality of restoration of patients who have been practiced with a whole body vibration machine for 10 minutes compared to those on which such training is not applied. For this purpose, patients were divided into two groups – experimental and control of 10 people per group. The following criteria were applied in order the groups to be homogeneous:
– to have no accompanying ligament damage to the knee joint;
– to be up to 40 years of age;
– to have had no prior surgical interventions on the knee joint;
– not to be professional athletes.
The study was conducted using the following recovery program following arthroscopic menisectomy:
Manual therapy – 15 min.
Stepper – 5 min.
Bicycle meter – 5 min.
Exercise in open kinetic chain with elastic – flexion, extension, abduction and adduction in TBS – 2 series of 10 repetitions bilaterally.
Exercises with sand weights – flexion, flexion with external rotation, abduction, adduction and extension in TBS – 2 series of 10 reps with 1 kg of weight.
Balance board – 3 series 3 min.
Vibrotherapy on a machine for whole body training – 10 minutes (only for the experimental group).
The program was performed by each participant in the study for about 1 hour each day for a period of 7 days to 10 days.
In order to account for the difference between the two patient groups at the end of the study, the following tests were performed:
Standing on one leg – minutes
Movement volume of in the knee joint
Extension of a knee joint with a weight of 2.5 kg
Pain on SAC
After the program ended, the following results were reported:
– With regard to the one foot standing, there is a high degree of confidence (t = 3.87) to increase the duration of stand-up time in the experimental group (4.4 s) relative to the control group.
– Increased knee joint volume by up to 10 ° in the whole body vibration training experiment group versus the control group, the confidence level being t = 2.37.
– There is an increased number of knee joint extensions with a weight of 2.5 kg showing the enhancement of the four-headed femoral muscle with a confidence level t = 1.76
– Favorable response to the pain syndrome in the experimental group as a result of the training on the whole-body vibrotherapy machine with a confidence level t = 0.63.
As a result of the data obtained, it is necessary to conclude that in the experimental group of patients with training on a whole body vibrotherapy machine a more pronounced increase in the volume of movement in the knee joint was achieved; strengthening the quadriceps, especially the medial head; a major influence on the pain syndrome. In this group of patients a pronounced stabilization of the gait and improvement of the equilibrium were also observed.
The statistical treatment of the results of the conducted study unambiguously shows the beneficial effect of the training with vibrotherapy machines of the whole body in the physical and social rehabilitation of patients after arthroscopic meniscectomy.
MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORTS
SPECIALIZED HOSPITAL FOR ACTIVE TREATMENT OF TRAUMATOLOGY, ORTHOPEDICS AND SPORTS MEDICINE “PROF.DR DIMITAR SHOYLEV” EAD
Sofia, “N. Gabrovski “№ 1, tel .: (02) 862 11 33; fax: (02) 868 74 43;
RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS OF RESULTS IN PATIENTS OF SBALTOSM-PROF.DR DIMITAR SHOYLEV EAD
FROM THE USE OF VIBROTHERAPY MACHINES DURING REHABILITATION AFTER ARTHROSCOPY MENISCECTOMY
Head of Department Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine:
/ Dr. Bilyana Atanasova – Tosheva /